[OT] Re: Gmail

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [OT] Re: Gmail
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:45:36 -0500
Greg Wilkinson wrote:
> I'm not saying that gmail is a bad thing, but I don't understand the hoopla.
> It wouldn't surprise me if  most people have many times more available
> storage on their computers than what gmail supplies. (I have 80 Gig avail) I
> set up Outlook (not express) so anything from the list automatically goes
> into a folder marked "Healey Stuff". Any hard drive search will be faster
> than an internet connection short of a T3 line. I guess in computer years
> I'm old school.

Having myself been computing since a time that the power of today's
desktops (in terms of speed, core and DASD) would have cost $billions,
let me mention that while there's no magic to it, there are a few key
advantages to Gmail:

- It gets backed up(!)  For most people, the list could stop right there.
- It's accessible from anywhere in the world there's a web browser
- Google search tools available for your stored email
- You could, if you wished, eliminate the cost of Outlook altogether.
- It's free

Not earth-shaking, any of of the above, but nice to have.  Gmail
probably makes less sense for me than most folks, as I run my own mail
server and have remote access to my desktop via VPN, but I keep a Gmail
account all the same.

You ought to try it, Greg -- if you don't like it, you can get your
money back!

Best regards,
--
John Miller