Six Cylinder Engine Questions.

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Six Cylinder Engine Questions.
From: GLWilkieAlaska@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:10:51 EST
Hi Listers,

I have some questions with regard to the six cylinder engine Healeys.

Whilst degreasing and cleaning the engine block recently (engine still in
car) I noticed a plug on the left side of the block, between the cylinder block
Coolant Drain Tap, and the Oil Gauge Pipe Connection.

The Workshop Manual refers to this as "Plug, oil filter feed hole." (Hmm, the
filter lives on the other side...)

Next I checked the manual's instructions for renewing the oil filter element.
(I'd always just changed it in the past without priming the new element.)
Sure enough, as I dreaded, it said "put in a new element, prime the filter, and
refit..."

Now I'm a bit confused and would appreciate any responses to the following
questions.

1. What is the purpose of the "Plug, oil filter feed hole" on the left side
of the engine? Am I supposed to overcome the challenge of accessibility, and
pour oil into this hole, to prime a new oil filter element once it is installed?

2. The wording of the Workshop Manual implies that a new oil filter element
is primed prior to reinstalling. How is this best accomplished?

Any light that anyone could shed on this matter for me, would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

Graham Wilkie.
HBJ8L / 32382