Re: break in oil

To: Ron Fine <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: break in oil
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:28:57 +0800
Ron -

You want to run non-detergent 30W motor oil for the first 500 - 1000
miles.  This will allow the rings to seat properly and will keep
particulates from floating around in your system.  Non-detergent 30W
is what you want because it doesn't have addititves (which keep
particles in suspension to be caught by your oil filter).  Normally
the additives are what you want, but when an engine is new.. it's
better to have them settle in the bottom of the sump then being
circulated through the oil.

You can get non-detergent 30W at places like Napa or Carquest.  It is
usually pretty cheap stuff.  Bob Spidell suggests 20W which is ok as
well, but really the car is meant to run with slightly higher
viscosity oils so I'd stick with the 30W.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8