Re: Ebay BJ8

To: mother-ship@earthlink.net, Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ebay BJ8
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:59:45 EST
In a message dated 3/9/2005 12:11:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mother-ship@earthlink.net writes:
What is the practical purpose of a registry?
------------
In my view, numerous and different depending upon the registry.

For those into restoring their cars to original condition the Concours
Registry serves to establish--and administer through judging--the standards for
the
various models.  These standards are determined on the  basis of actual
observation of change-points, known variations, and a lot of anecdotal reports
of
owners, etc.  And beyond originality it is also a repository of a lot of
"correct" information, as for example a recent string about the order of
assembly of
intake manifold spacers or the like.  Or how about Rich Chrysler's comments of
just today concerning the non-original early armrest on the nice late BJ8 on
Ebay?

For those into finding out about the history of their cars, some registrars
(Steve Byers for the BJ8 being the most outstanding example) keep extensive
databases by car numbers and can, if not under any privacy constraints, share
information with present owners about who owned the car earlier, etc. etc.
Steve
has also documented cars that have been "chopped" and resassembled with
incorrect numbers, found stolen cars and notified duped buyers and reunited
parts
on ebay with the present owners of the car to which they originally belonged.

I also think that there is a large crossover between the "Concours" purpose
and the "History" purpose:  Our cars were apparently manufactured in an
ideosynchratic manner, especially the four-cylinder and earliest six-cylinder
cars,
and by gathering enough information on notable change-points the data-gatherers
help those looking to document the Originality Standards in pinning down
"what was" as opposed to "how it should have been".

I'm sure that other listers will have their own contributions on the topic--I
think that the Registries in all of their incarnations are valuable resources
to us.  Those who toil in this field do so as a labor of love.

Best--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans (NOT one of the 5000 M's remaining of the
original 640)