Re: Shock Curiosity

To: Mark and Kathy <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>
Subject: Re: Shock Curiosity
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 06:29:01 +0800
Mark -

Do not ever use bolts that are too long to secure your shocks.  Not
only will your shocks wear out, but you could stress the shock
mounting plate as well, which you don't want to do... trust me $$$$.

1 inch should be sufficient, and I would HIGHLY reccommend getting 1
inch bolts that have a non-threaded shoulder for half an inch under
the bolt head.  If you can't find bolts like this, buy the correct
bolts from Moss or another Healey Supplier of you choice.  You can
measure the length they should be by measuring the thickness of the
shock bottom plate and washer, and measuring the thickness of the
shock mounting plate less about 1/4"... that should be just about an
inch.   Frankly, however, I would just pony up the extra coupla
dollars and buy the correct bolts from a healey supplier.

If you are using 1 inch bolts from the hardware store that are
threaded all the way to the head, what will happen is at some point in
the future.... your shocks .... if and when they come loose will get
worn out as they vibrate against the threads... this isn't what you
want.  These shock bolts do come loose... it's a design oversight
honestly... so having a non-threaded shoulder on the bolt is important
for long term maintenance.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8