Rear Suspension Pictures

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Suspension Pictures
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:18:03 -0800
Hello Listers,
I've uploaded pictures of my rear suspension modification project to my
gallery at:
http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

I'm in the process of modifying my 2-seater to use BJ8 radius arms and have
the rear bracket/bump combos fabbed and installed on the axle, but don't yet
have the front brackets & rods themselves installed.

I also installed my Lempert 3.54 rear end. 3000 rpm (Toyota 5th gear--82%
OD) is almost exactly 70 mph as measured by GPS. With the 3.9 as I recall it
was about 60 mph.

Hooper's Rear End Exchange in Sun Valley, CA installed it for about $125 and
it's perfectly quiet. I was lucky and didn't need any new bearings. They
ground the shims to fit.

However, they deformed my differential drive flange by beating on it with a
hammer and I had to grind away some slightly mushroomed edges  where the
shaft flanges mate. Anyone having this kind of work done might want to
remember to tell them to use a board when they're beating on the flange.
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA