Re: six cylinder rear seal kit

To: "Freese, Ken" <Ken.Freese@Aerojet.com>,
Subject: Re: six cylinder rear seal kit
From: "Bluechipracing" <bluechipracing@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:33:51 -0400
I have the Denis Welch rear main seal kit in my BN1 racer.  Installed in
2000.  After five seasons of intense racing, (and two tear-downs in which I
replaced the seal) it was still leakless.   Until the most recent
teardown...Janurary 2005...reassembled with a new seal, and it leaked about
an ounce in 20 minutes while running the engine to seat the rings....not
good!  Yanked the gearbox, clutch, flywheel, seal housing etc. all with the
engine still in the car.  Found nothing wrong.  I replaced the seal again
with another new one, being very careful to center the seal on the
crankshaft.  Just for added margin I also used some epoxy where the rear
main cap to block joint is exposed.  Problem solved, not a drop of leakage.
I don't really know why it leaked.  My theory is that it may have been
assembled a little off center.  The mounting holes have enough clearance to
allow some misalignment.
Bottom line.....Didn't need to resort to the PCV valve.

Jim