Re: six cylinder rear seal kit

To: "Freese, Ken" <Ken.Freese@Aerojet.com>,
Subject: Re: six cylinder rear seal kit
From: "Bluechipracing" <bluechipracing@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:46:06 -0400
I have a friend with a BJ8 who told me about an interesting problem he had
with his rear main seal.  When he first rebuilt the engine, he installed a
RMS kit.  everything was OK until he blew the engine (I don't know the
details).  Anyway, when he rebuilt the engine the second time, the rear main
leaked profusely.  Seems he had align bored the mains, which relocated the
crankshaft enough to cause the seal to be off center causing the leak.  He
re-mounted the seal kit, rotating the housing  from its original position
enough to find fresh metal for new new drill and tap operation with the seal
centered on the new crankshaft position.  Problem solved.

Jim