Re: Tires (for concours)

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>,
Subject: Re: Tires (for concours)
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 20:47:21 -0400
I don't know where all you people have been but these Dunlop RS5's in the
5.90x15 size have been available
for the last dozen years or so. This is nothing new.
These tires of course always allow full points with no deduction if all 5
are in good condition.
As an aside, last June, fellow Southern Ontario club members and good
friends, David and Janet Koch drove their freshly finished BN2M some 1600
miles each way, unescorted from Guelph Ontario to the Conclave in San
Antonio Texas on new 48 spoke painted Dunlop wheels shod with new Dunlop
5.90x15 RS5 Roadspeed tires, and won a Gold level. Then these grandparents
drove home again! These were the best tires to be had 50 years ago, so why
wouldn't they be "safe", though admittedly not the feel we're used to today.
Gawd, are we spoiled!
As for "wiggle room" how about this.....the National Concours Committee
introduced a clause last year in which if a car is fitted with the correct
original radial size specified by the factory at the time of 165x15, and all
5 match and are in good safe condition there would as always be a 1 point
deduction per tire (5 points). Now for the good part...because we the
Committee try to encourage the use of these so called Concours cars, we have
added the clause that 1 point per 100 miles driven in the 30 days prior to
the judging would be awarded back to a total of 5 points (500 miles). This
would be taken at one's word, i.e. we would not ask for witnesses or further
verification.
This was done to encourage the trailers to be left home and these cars to be
driven to the event for judging, or at least be deemed totally roadworthy.
Howzat sound????<grin>

Rich Chrysler