Healeys, Friends, the List (middlingly long)

To: Austin Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Healeys, Friends, the List (middlingly long)
From: "M.E. & E.A. Driver" <edriver@sasktel.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:37:29 -0600
Hello Fellows

For the last ten days Margaret and I have spent driving the highways
and byways from Montana to Arizona to Idaho and home.  This trip
was originally planned for the second and part of third week of March  in which
we hoped to photograph desert flowers in the southwest desert but a fall
resulting
in a mild concussion ended the expedition.  We were to have been guests of
Russ Staub (BJ8, etc.) in Mesa - Russ is not only a car nut but also
avid photographer and budding botanist!  At the end of March
I was fit to travel but this proved to raise problems. The delay overlapped
with Russ's holiday plans so we were not able to talk Healeys, do some hiking
and
photography together as planned.  BUT Russ provided the ideal solution: a two
page detailed e-mail which outlined series of tours from which Margaret and I
could soak up taking inthe wild plant communities; and the North American
Native history and culture Arizona. To top it off he sent a video of some of his
  and Jan's botanizing and a magazine he picked up at a carport sale dealing wit
  wild flowers.  So we were armed forour expedition thanks
to the super consideration of Russ.

Our trip was further enhanced by two other members of
the Healey List who we've had met in person
.
Richard and Juli Gordon (BN1 and BT7) provided absolute fantastic hospitality
in Denver.  It was great to view Richard's fine pair of concours Healeys,
discuss
their restoration, and to discuss collecting Healey models.  As many of you
know  Richard has written some great articles in the Austin Healey Magazine
on model collecting and various  model makers.  The coffee Juli made for
breakfast
was the best we of the entire trip - really great time in Mile High!

On our  trip north we had an opportunity to met with Jim and Sally Sailer at
their home in Idaho Falls.  As with Richard, Jim and I have been corresponding
for
about five years. Initially this started with responses on the List which lead
to much
correspondence off the List.  The Sailer's provided us with a grand evening of
conversation,  Jim and I spent some time with his BJ8, we hd some quality
chatting
with their pets as we're keen pet owners and were missing ours.  All this
topped of
with some great wine made for a very memorable evening and visit!

At times the List brings out some angst for all of us but I must say for some
us us the friendships kindled initially by participating , then letting our
interests build  are epitomized by the brief experience I've detailed above.

To Russ, Richard , Jim and their super spouses thanks for  your friendship,
your help, your interest, for the marvelous time and making our trip very
special.

Kind regards
Ed
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan