Re: engine number plate

To: "'list healey'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: engine number plate
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:39:00 -0400
Two options I can think of, Gary -

First, soak the rivet stubs with penetrating oil for a day or so.

1.  If enough of the remains of the rivets exist to get a vise-grip on them,
see if you can turn them out like a screw.
2.  If not, file the rivet stubs down flush with the block, then carefully
center-punch them and drill them out, beginning with the smallest drill bit
you can find and stepping up the holes a little at a time until a new rivet
will fit snugly in the holes (ideally, snug enough to require tapping in with
a hammer).

By hand, you may not be very successful at keeping the drill in the center.  I
did this method with my '72 Midget motor and ended up oversizing the rivet
holes.  When replacing the standard drive rivets, I filled the holes with J-B
Weld first and then just pushed the rivets in.  So far, so good.

Good luck!

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry