Re: Non-starter problem

To: Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Non-starter problem
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:06:18 -0400
William Moyer wrote:
> I've got the BJ7 at the shop for spring cleaning and I get a call from the
> mechanic that the car won't start.  He turns the ignition switch on and
> hears no fuel pump clicking, presses the starter button and the car doesn't
> turn over.  The battery switch is on.  Oddly, when he pushes the starter
> button under the bonnet the car turns over, but he hasn't look for ignition
> that way yet.  Fuses are continuous and I don't have a secret switch
> operating to ground out the distributor anywhere.
>
> Any thoughts?

Finding the problem would just be a matter of tracing the
presence/absence of voltage with a test light, starting at the ignition
switch and working foward (toward the pump, relay, etc.) or backward
(toward the battery), as appropriate.  It's such a simple electrical
system that tracking down where the electrons are going astray should be
about a 10-minute job.  I'm afraid that getting such a phone call would
worry me more than the problem that caused it.
--
John Miller
First principle of troubleshooting: isolate the problem