Re: Wiring Harness Advise Needed

To: HealeyBN7@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wiring Harness Advise Needed
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:28:53 +0800
Dave -

I would counsel you not to buy the PVC harness.  I thought the same as
you a while back when I bought a PVC wrapped harness for my BJ8.  I
thought it would last forever... I was wrong.

In fact, I think they are less durable than the braided harnesses.
When the wires get wrapped in PVC, they are typically wrapped very
tight and as a result when you are manipulating the harness to get it
in the car, you run a very high risk of rubbing and kinking the inside
wires together  because they have no room to move whatsover.   You
will have to twist the harness around a bit to get it in the car.

This happened to me, and after only about 18 months (after putting the
harness in the car), the primary ignition wire grounded somehow (in
the harness itself) and caught on fire.  Thankfully I had the presence
of mind to run to the back of the car and switch off the battery
switch.

I was lucky, there was little damage and I was able to run a seperate
ignition wire and got the car running rather quickly again.  It's
lasted to now (15 years later) but to be honest I'd rather have a
braided harness in my BJ8.  When I get around to it, I'll replace it I
guess.  The braided harnesses are not as tightly wrapped, and they are
flexible enough to allow wires to move around a bit as you are
installing the harness...   Plus the braided harnesses allow moisture
to escape out of the harness... a PVC one will not.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8