Question on Denis Welsh Aluminum Sump Install

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Question on Denis Welsh Aluminum Sump Install
From: James Sailer <heliskier@direcway.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:24:50 -0600
Hi all ..  The DW e-mail just rejects all e-mail so I thought I would try
the list before I call ...

I purchased an aluminum sump and baffle from DW several months ago and am
just installing it but I have a question.

They refer to filing the oil pump pickup pipe inside the "gauze"
approximately 1/8 inch .. And the gauze will flatten out ..??

I want to check that by gauze they mean the metal "stainer" (as refered to
in the manual)... I also wanted to check that indeed just letting the
installation of the sump smash the stainer up almost 1/4 inch is what is
meant to happen?

My clearance is 4 inches to the bottom of the pickup bracket (from the block
to where the flange attached to the strainer) .. Then the stainer adds
another 1 3/4 inches ... Making a total of 5 3/4 inches .. The sump is 5 1/2
inches .. With I suppose an 1/16 added by the gasket ... So the strainer
gets flattened during installation against the bottom of the sump and pushes
up 1/4 inch?

I wanted to check before I do this as it seems like there will be a lot of
stain on the pump pickup by smashing the strainer this way.

Also.. They say to remove the oil drain pipe at the rear main or shorten it
(it will hit the baffle) Does the oil drain pipe at the rear main simply
screw out? Is it better to shorten this than leave it out totally?

Any thoughts or expereience would be useful..

Thanks.
Jim Sailer 66 BJ8