rocker pedestal

To: <mburnet@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: rocker pedestal
From: "Mr. Finespanner" <mrfinespanner@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:54:10 -0500
Mel,
You can also make your own oil-feed pedestal by drilling and
tapping a blank one if you have decent machining skills.  The
1/8 BSPP tap is available from McMaster-Carr for $15.77.  I
did this for a customer a couple weeks ago, with excellent
results.  I also found in the process that you can machine .050"
off the bottom of the banjo itself (in order to get more banjo bolt
thread engagement in the pedestal) without the bolt bottoming
out on the shaft and failing to seal at the banjo.

A word or two on rocker shaft rebuilding, since I haven't seen
the nitty-gritty discussed much on the list.  The pedestals should
never be pressed or beaten on or off the shaft.  Pressing or
beating will gall the bores and give a loose fit on any shaft to
which the pedestals are next fitted.  They must be cooked off
with a propane torch, and the right amount of heat will slide them
off like they were buttered.  You'll need a good welder's glove or
oven mitt to position them on reassembly, but when the pedestals
cool down the bores will shrink to a nice, tight fit on the new shaft,
provided, of course, it is not of lesser diameter than the old shaft.
I know the Denis Welch rocker shafts are the correct thickness;
can't say about other suppliers.  I recommend you mike your old
shaft at an unworn spot and make sure the new one has at least
the same diameter (slightly more doesn't hurt).
Doug Reid, 18G Motorworks