Re: Petronix Ignition? Do I need rev limiter?

To: "scott willis" <ahpowered@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Petronix Ignition? Do I need rev limiter?
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:33:35 -0700
Scott,

I don't believe any Big Healeys used a ballasted ignition system (I know the
BN2s and BJ8s don't, and I don't see any resistor listed in the Moss catalog
for any 100-6 or 3000).  If you had a ballasted system, there would be a big,
ceramic wound-wire resistor somewhere in the primary ignition circuit.

I believe Pertronix states that the coil should have 1.5 ohms of resistance.
Theoretically, any coil that meets this requirement would work; however I'd
buy the Pertronix coil just to be sure.  But--this will probably start a flame
war--I
don't think there's a need for "performance" coils in an otherwise stock
Healey engine.  If fact, you're more likely to get more trouble from the extra
voltage
leaking through the distributor cap and spark wires than you'll get benefit
from
a high-voltage coil (which are mostly used in very high-revving and
high-compression
engines, with upgraded ignition components).   I put a Pertronix in my BJ8 with
the
stock coil and the engine starts quicker, idles smoother and more consistently
and
revs up to redline with no hesitation--what more can you ask for?

Pertronix doesn't require a rev-limiter.  I don't think one is necessary; Healey
engines aren't high-revving by nature ... you'd have to be pretty remiss to
over-rev a Healey to the point of doing damage.

IMO

bs