Re: Petronix Ignition? Do I need rev limiter?

To: scott willis <ahpowered@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Petronix Ignition? Do I need rev limiter?
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:06:11 -0600
Hi Scott,

The Moss 143-265 "Is" the Pertronix 40511 Flamethrower & will work. You
don't need a rev limiter unless you are continually reving the engine to
valve float, which I doubt.  When you hook up the Pertronix, make sure that
you get the connections right the first time. You only get one chance.
Also don't forget to turn the ignition switch off when the engine isn't
running. The Pert will overheat after a while.

You may be able to widen the plug gaps 5 or ten thousandths which will
give a better idle.

Some folks keep the points & condenser onboard as spares in case the
Pert fails. I carried the points for several years, never needed them, &
put them back on the shelf.

Any coil will work as long as the primary coil resistance is 2.8 ohms or
greater. I am personally using the 40611 coil which is epoxy
encapsulated inside. Really not needed, just wanted the possibility of a
bit more reliability.

Dave Russell
BN2