Re: BJ7 TRIPLE SU WOES

To: "scott@scottjgraham.com" <scott@scottjgraham.com>
Subject: Re: BJ7 TRIPLE SU WOES
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 07:15:56 +0800
Scott -

It sounds to me that your carbs are supposed to have some kind of
automatic choke on them.  If they were fitted to a sedan of some kind,
that would be the case probably.

Regardless of this, the car should not be idling so slow.  The slow
idle speed screw should be working... what you describe suggests that
the slow idle port is blocked.

The most common reason why the port is blocked is when the carbs are
fitted with a non standard air filter and/or air filter gasket (or
possibly the airfilters are mounted upsidedown)..  There should be two
small holes (under the main carb throat) that is on the carb face
where the air filter mounts.  These holes must remain unblocked.  If
they are blocked, your slow idle speed screw will not work.

Finally, on the slow idle speed screw, counterclockwise twisting is
open, clockwise is closing.

Hope that helps,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8