Re: Mechanical Mystery Tour

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mechanical Mystery Tour
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 07:21:39 -0400
STEV0001@aol.com wrote:
>     The symptoms - Two weeks ago had to brake hard and  heard a horrible,
> very loud noise from what I thought was under the  hood on the passenger
>side.
> The noise sounded like an automatic  transmission that had been thrown in
>park
> at 60 mph.

Hold that thought...

>     I called the shop and they surmised that the engine  mounts were loose
> and the abrupt stop threw the drive train into the radiator  and fan.  Took
>the
> car to the shop...no sign of the radiator being damaged  or breached in any
> way.  Wanted to charge me $1600 to change suspension  parts "just because."

Good to learn that about them.

>     I took the car home and it drove/shifted  fine.  Today, while driving
> along, I heard the noise while cruising in  fourth gear.  It only lasted
>about a
> second but was very loud.   The car continued to shift and drive fine.  I
> later looked under the hood  and noticed a chunk out of the transmission bell
> housing, about 1 1/2" in  diameter, at about the "10 o'clock" position (as
>you're
> facing the engine from  the front - i.e. on the passenger side.)

Aha.  The combination of a ratcheting sound combined with a hole in the
bellhousing suggests a foreign object in the bellhousing got wedged
between the ring gear and the casting.  Did it get flung out in the last
episode?  You'll need to look inside the bellhousing to know for sure.

Disclaimer: like any remote diagnosis, this is only a best guess.