Re: Hubs and Splines

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hubs and Splines
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 19:54:34 -0400
Hi, Dave -

I have heard others say that their wheels were very hard to remove from the
splined hubs the first time they pulled the wheels.  I've also heard someone
say they were able to get the wheel loose by driving carefully for short
distances without the knockoff (professional driver, closed course.  Don't try
this at home, etc.).  Others have had to cut whe wheel off.  I was lucky and
didn't have to resort to such drastic measures.

After replacing my hubs and wheels around 1990, I have made sure to remove
each wheel, clean, inspect the splines for wear, and relube the splines with
high temp wheel bearing grease once a year.  So far, no signs of wear after
60,000 miles or so.  I do lubricate the knockoff and hub threads, and also the
coned surfaces of the knockoff where they mate with the wheel.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA