Re: Hubs and Splines

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hubs and Splines
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 05:28:05 -0400
My personal experience has been that silicone turns to a very sticky jelly
when used to seal the spokes inside the grease cavities.  When that happens,
it's a real chore to get it out.  Perhaps it was just the brand I used, but I
thought silicone was silicone.

I have found that brush-on body sealant such as that available at body shop
supply houses is impervious to wheel bearing grease and works well to keep the
grease from creeping up the spokes.  You do have to make sure you clean the
surfaces well before using the sealant, though.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC   USA