Re: field/shed/basement story-slight digression

To: Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: field/shed/basement story-slight digression
From: HealeyBN7@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 23:31:20 EDT
Patrick,
You aren't making this up are you?  100M?  100S?  Biplane in  a loft?  2
Deusenberg's?  :)))

Whilst at the Auburn Cord Deusenberg museum, I read that the Deusenberg
brothers (from Indianapolis) were extremely successful in racing in the  20's,
having won the 1928 French GP at Le Mans, and also having placed  8 of the top
10
cars at the Indy 500 that year (including the winning  car).  Apparently,
E.L.Cord bought the Deusenberg company from receivership  in the late 20's, and
turned that marque into one of the most expensive and  desirable in motoring.

Ok - it's late, and I will bore you all with another  item/observation from
my visit to the museum.  I was upstairs  wandering in the design offices of
Alan Leamy (famed  Cord-Deusenberg designer on the order certainly of Gerry
Coker
- and both  did their most famous work in their 20', although Alan Leamy died
when he was  just 33).  I'm looking at some pencil sketches of his, on a
display  board.  There is a sketch of a Cord dated 1930 - a Cord Coupe  that
was
never even prototyped.  The doors .....  The doors have the  unmistakable look
of the mid-year Vette's - with the extension up into the top  of the car.  To
see this drawing is to look exactly at the 1963 - 1967  Vette coupe doors -
except this drawing was from 1930.  There is only  one sketch of this car.  I
was unable to find another, or even a  copy for sale in the gift shop.  Just
one
obscure 4"  X 8" pencil drawing on a board with others in a back corner  of
the museum.  One wonders.

Dave

In a message dated 5/15/2005 9:36:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,