throttle linkage - big healey

To: list healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: throttle linkage - big healey
From: linwood rose <linwoodrose@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 21:52:33 -0400
Hello all,
Some may recall a few previous questions I had for the list about the
installation of a throttle cable mechanism in lieu of the original
mechanical linkage. I am still inclined to go this route on my car,
but before I do I want to at least understand the engineering behind
why the original mechanism was designed the way it was.

I have noticed that on most healey race cars the throttle actuation
is by cable. The original linkage abandoned. Jeff Johnk's car (which
is very fast by the way, with the new DMD aluminum block with the DMD
head) uses a direct throttle rod with ball joints from the pedal
shaft to the carb throttle shaft instead of a cable.

Is the original design the way it is because of the need to connect
the throttle relay for the overdrive? If the explanation isn't the
overdrive, I am puzzled as to why such a complex system would be
developed when the Bugeye of the same vintage used a cable process.

I hope someone can explain this to me. Thanks.

Lin Rose
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye