Re: Silicone Brk. Fluid

To: John Peak <redbn7@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Silicone Brk. Fluid
From: jerry adams <cjerryadams@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 08:47:48 -0700 (PDT)
John,

Some on the list will tell you there is a real advantage to switching to
silicone brake fluid but in reality there is none.  Silicone brake fluid was
developed for the military for extreme temperatures ie. artic and desert.  The
silicone does not adsorb water and has a higher boiling temperature.  The
silicone fluid will areate if you are not very careful when filing the system
and then you will still get air mixed in the fluid.  If you do it is very hard
to remove.  As with any change over you should start fresh if you are going to
change to silicone fluid.  Replace all rubber cups, seals, brake hoses, clutch
hose any thing that had contact with DOT 3/4 brake fluid.  Bleed system as per
the manual.
Regular brake fluid, DOT3/4, is fine but adsorbs water over time from
condensation and will mar paint if spilled.  Both fluids should be flushed
every two to three years to clean out contaminants.
Whether you use silicone, DOT 5, or regular, DOT 3/4, is a matter of personal
opinion both are approved.

Jerry
BN2

John Peak <redbn7@yahoo.com> wrote:
Other than the paint thing (not an issue on my unrestored driver) are there any
real advantages to using silicone brake fluid in a Healey?

John Peak
'59 BN7

davidwjones wrote:
True the silicon costs a bit more, but not as much as paint.... I went to
silicon brake fluid after a complete restoration, mainly because if there is a
spill or a leak, it has the added benefit of not eating paint.
Dave J.