Re: Won't Start II

To: healey.nut@gmail.com, bspidell@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Won't Start II
From: "scott willis" <ahpowered@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 11:03:27 -0500
Thanks ALL!

If this plug is out will the engine show low compression? I have yet to look
for this.

I timed the engine statically and I'm back on points and not Pertronix. I
may be 180 degrees out as well.

When I am at TDC shold the Rotor be pointing to plug wire for cylinder #1
that is at TDC?

I have yet to pull the floats but gas spewed out of both sides of the lines
in to the carbs. I sprayed starting fluid light then heavily into the carbs
to see if I could get something while cranking. Got nothing.

Cheers,
Scott

>From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
>To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
>CC: healeys@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: Won't Start II
>Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:48:54 +0800
>
>Good point Bob, I forgot all about that.  that's happened to me too.
>sometimes it doesn't pop all the way out, just partially, so you have
>to check to see if it's inserted firmly.  This plug is located on the
>back of the manifold facing the firewall... if there's a hole there...
>bingo!
>
>Alan
>
>'53 BN1 '64 BJ8
>
>On 5/31/05, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Scott,
> >

> > If the engine quitting was accompanied by a loud intake backfire,
> > you may have blown the soft plug out of the back of the intake
> > manifold.
> >
> > Happened to me.
> >

> > bs
> > ***************************************************************
> > Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@comcast.net
> > '67 Austin-Healey 3000             '56 Austin-Healey 100M
> > ***************************************************************
> >
> > Subject: Re: Won't Start II
> >

> > > Scott -
> > >
> > > It's very easy to see if your timing chain is broken.    pull off the
> > > dist. cap and turn the motor over... if the distributor rotor doesn't
> > > spin, then the chain is broken... I reckon this is not your problem
> > > since you are getting spark at all your plugs.
> > >
> > > have you checked in your float bowls to see if there's gas in there?
> > > If your fuel filter is clogged or you have grose jets or bad SU float
> > > jets, it may be that gas is getting TO the carbs... but not INTO the
> > > carbs.  This is a very common problem, check your float chambers to
> > > see if there's gas in them.  sometimes you can tap the float tops with
> > > a small hammer and that will get it going again.
> > >
> > > Try that...
> > >
> > > Alan
> > >
> > > '53 BN1 '64 BJ8

>and I
>to see

>carbs.
>at all

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!