Re: Emissions

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Emissions
From: "Edward Anderson" <eandy01@tcnmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 14:08:46 -0700 (PDT)
I've never expressed my ire on this but this list or any other automotive
gp. but is a good place. I'm as green as anyone but some common sense has
to prevail.  No one ever accused politicians of being intelligent but
everyone knows they all serve their own interests first which is to stay
in office by any means. They all pander to the loudest shouters. When, as
I recall, the emissions subject came up, the auto makers protested too
much cost-can't do etc. The B'rer Rabbit gambit comes to mind. As it came
into being it has probably been the biggest money spinner of the after
market business. Natch too, the shops just 'have to' perform diagnostics
to determine the cause on emission probs when experience as often would
tell them exactly whats wrong. Government usually and on this subject has
proven their total ineptness. They mandate a new system without ever
reviewing the resulting proposals for effect before enacting. For example,
I had an 86 Ford Ranger 2.9 V6, one of Ford's better ideas. Shortly aftre
buying it w/36k mi. The emissions went. A reputable shop diagnosed and
replaced computer. Simple this time but still diag.= part$. Years later
having been sent to UK and back to Ca, emissions went again. Went to same
shop now under new mgmt. Diag bill was not looking to ever end so I took
it home to try myself. Name's not Rockefeller. Started w/logical 1st place
oxy sensor. I'd never had my face in this stuff before. I'm not a rocket
scientist but when I saw that 3/4 +- dia pipe drawing a sample of exhaust
from the exh. pipe to progress through small bore copper lines module to
module, well how dumb does it get. If the engine is warming fr cold and
running overly rich hot wet carbon is getting sucked into everything to
become solid as in pencil lead. I suspect many modules have been replaced
for a lot of $ when the real culprit wass a clogged line. It seems the
whole overall cost short and long term could be greatly reduced by simply
having the initial sampling passing through an inexpensive replaceable
filter to catch the wet carbon before it wipes out everything else. Would
it not be a simple enough thing for the gov. to require this as
modification to emissions laws. I have given myself some respite from my
ire in realising the politicians while screwing the public at large have
done themselves, their families and friends if they have any, too. Mustn't
forget the ultra 'greenies got a good ramming too. Now, does it have to
continue forever? Wouldn't car groups w/their huge memberships and
collective voice be a logical place to begin demand for a correction?
Ed  had 57,60,59&61 tri carb all big AH