front carb damper -- followup

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: front carb damper -- followup
From: pdeturck@rochester.rr.com
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:20:15 -0400
Thanks to all who made various suggestions on
my problems when pushing my BJ8.

I changed the carb damper oil on both HD8s
to 20 weight but there was no apparent difference
(I believe I had 10W40 there previously.)

I did a nighttime fireworks check and lo-and-behold,
arching from the coil.  Changed the coil wire to the distributor
and 4000+ rpms were better.

Checked timing, as suggested. It appears to be right on
the money at idle.  Should I try to set it at maximum advance
and high rpms?

Today, it was about 90 degrees F outside and I took it
for a longer ride  today --- about 60+ miles up to the lake.
It ran well and temperature stayed at about 190. Hard accelleration
produced the same rough running condition (though I don't think
it was quite as bad --- but most of it was 55mph and in and out of OD.)

On the way back, temp was higher (but the route had more stop and
go) but never exceeded 212.  But step on the gas (in 2nd or 3rd), and
it stumbled worse than ever.  For a ittle while it seemed to be running
rough on
a couple cylinders (as though one carb was "off" while the other was OK).

More help needed. Thanks in advance.
-pd-
'66 BJ8