Re: FW: Carburetor damper

To: Tom Mitchell <3000mk3@bighealey.org>
Subject: Re: FW: Carburetor damper
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 06:35:19 +0800
Tom -

If you are using multi-weight oil (i.e. 20W-50) in your dashpots, this
can cause the problem you describe, the oil is too thick when the
engine is hot. Either put in straight 20 WT oil or get the Penrite/SU
dashpot oil.

 Also I would get your dampers from a UK supplier... I've heard other
similar complaints about the ones sourced from the supplier named in
your email.  The other option is to go with brass top dashpots
dampers... but my general view is to try to solve it with the plastic
top ones because the breaking is indicative of something wrong.

FYI I've had the plastic ones on my BJ8's HD8s for 20 years... they
have never broken.

Cheers,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8