Re: Engine Rebuild

To: joe mulqueen <joemulqueen@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:17:10 +0800
Joe -

My BJ8 never actually pinged in California when I had it there, but it
did "run on" after I switched off the motor.. indicating slightly too
high compression for the fuel.  I solved the problem basically by
using Bardahl's instead o lead gold... which has an octane boost (and
also dropping the clutch when I switched off the engine), but if I
knew this would've been happening, I woulda put slightly lower
compressin pistons in the car when I rebuilt the motor 20 years ago.

My BN1, on the other hand, will pretty much take any grade of
California gas and never runs on.  That's because the BN1 compression
is much lower than the 6 cylinder cars.

Out here in Hong Kong, they sell basically high test (everyone in Hong
Kong drives mercedes, BMWs, Ferarris, Lambos, Maseratis and Astons,
you get the picture), so I never have a problem with pinging or
running on here.

Cheers,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8