Re: Wire Wheel Rear Hub Question

To: tom felts <tomfelts@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Rear Hub Question
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 11:31:35 -0600
Hi Tom,

I think the "clunk" is the clue, as is the "sharp on top". They can go
from sharp on top to stripped very quickly. I would replace the hubs &
then check the wheel fit again. If there is now more than 1/16" to 1/8"
of circumfrential rotation at the outer edge of the tires, I would
replace the wheels also. If a spline "lets go" you may be in a world of
hurt. It's kind of an expensive fix but there is no safe alternative.

I would also check the front hubs in the same way. A front hub that
strips during braking will be a real handful to control.

Dave Russell