Rebuilding Engine - Long Term Storage - Special Precautions?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Rebuilding Engine - Long Term Storage - Special Precautions?
From: JJSandSMS@cs.com
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 18:15:52 EDT
Help!

We are in the process of rebuilding a 1963 BJ8 engine.  We are about to
install the pistons/rod assemblies.  Question? The motor will not be installed
and
run for at least two or three years.  Are there special assembly
techniques/lubricants.  We are using a good quality assembly lube on the
bearings, camshaft
surfaces, and other areas.  But wonder what to use on the pistons, rings, and
cylinder walls for the long term storage. Should a light engine oil be spayed
on the rings and cylinder walls?  If not what to use?

Once the engine is totally assembled should the crank be turned occasionally?
 Should some lubricant be sprayed into the spark plug holes?  Should the
engine be filled with the normal amount of oil? What do you all do?

Thanks.

Jeff
1964 BJ8 Phase II