Re: Rebuilding Engine - Long Term Storage - Special

To: JJSandSMS@cs.com
Subject: Re: Rebuilding Engine - Long Term Storage - Special
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 06:43:04 +0800
Jeff -

Whatever you do, keep it in a dry place at all costs.  Don't put the
head on yet, so you can eyeball the cylinders prior to installation in
the car to make sure there is no corrosion.

If you live in someplace like California or Arizona, you can pretty
much leave it out... it is dry enough to keep the engine in good shape
for a couple of years.

If not, put the engine in a good, airtight plastic bag and the throw
in a dehumidifier can that you can buy at a boat shop.  They look like
this:

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=298460&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10051

This type of dehumidifier will last for years inside a plastic bag as
long as it is air tight.  Trust me... these really work!  It'll keep
the corrosion off your motor.  You can still pull the motor out every
six months to turn the crank by hand if you want.

Coating the surfaces with very light oil is ok too... but don't ever
spray too much oil into the cylinder of a brand new engine... you can
damage the motor with too much oil in there to start... a very light
coat on the cylinder walls is all you need.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8