I Don't understand the "New" front shocks

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: I Don't understand the "New" front shocks
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:45:51 -0500
Hi All, just received a brand new front shock from M+++ from their
eastern facility thru a local parts distributor.  This shock has a
cylindrical protrusion sticking up about 3/4" out of the top of the
otherwise normal looking shock body.  Anyway, I'd have to cut away some
of the inner fender sheet metal to get it to fit.  My local guy says he
was told by M+++ that this is the only thing available anymore in new
shocks....... what's the deal here??  Am I being fed a line of BS??  I
don't want to cut any sheet metal if it ain't necessary.  How about
another source of original looking shocks??  Please help me on this
one... many thanks,
Jack