Re: distributor springs

To: "Frenken, Eric" <efrenken@lctax.de>,
Subject: Re: distributor springs
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:50:24 +1000
Hi Eric,

I think you were talking about Barry Campbell, from the NSW Healey Club here
in Sydney. Barry has rebuilt over 50 Healey distributors for club members.
Barry is meticulous in his work.

To give you an idea of just how meticulous - Barry rebuilt his distributor
graphing machine. Rather than old fashioned 'swinging needles' - Barry's
distributor graphing machine has digital readouts. No point trying to be
accurate if the equipment isn't....

If you tell him what state of tune your engine is in - he can set an advance
curve to match your engine - and he gets it 'right'.

His prices are more than fair for the hours he spends rebuilding and
regraphing a distributor - taking the wear out of each and every point in
the mechanism. As I've said on this list previously - even with a
Pertronics - you still need to regularly lube the cam and spring plates (see
the workshop manual) - because even with a pertronics - the advance curve is
still determined by the spring, weights and cam.

Fitting 'new' springs doesn't guarantee anything - two otherwise identical
springs can produce different advance curves by a slight stretching
(detensioning) on fitment. I've seen it on a distributor graphing machine.

Best

Chris
No commercial interest - I'm always happy to recommend another club member
who does good work - Barry has rebuilt my distributor, and spent some time
with me getting a 'perfect' advance curve for my engine specification.

www.myaustinhealey.com