Heresy on Friday (Almost)

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heresy on Friday (Almost)
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 06:41:50 -0700
I thought I'd push the envelope on the Friday Funnies category to include
heresy (early Saturday). Flame away!

Reading about Bonham's Monte Carlo auction in the latest "Automobile"
magazine--there's a 1959 Alfa 750 Giulietta Spider that went for $21k. It
occurred to me that that's about the only other affordable sports car from
the '50s that can hold a candle to the Healey for overall appeal. 356
Porsches are not quite in the same class, seeming rather drab by comparison.

In my opinion, the Alfa doesn't _quite_ have the exterior looks of the
Healey, but the 1300 has 90 bhp, an all aluminum DOHC engine, all-syncho
box, superb handling, roll-up windows, double or triple-leading shoe brakes
that would hold up under racing, and a convertible top that disappears into
the body like the original 100 or a modern Miata.

If you've seen the original "Day of the Jackal" you know you can reach back
with one hand and pull up the top while you're driving.

It's a hell of a car for the same money as a Healey. Parts are quite a bit
more expensive though.
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA