Re: enginetemp

To: "Kurt Leslie" <kansl@net1plus.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: enginetemp
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:00:19 -0400
Kurt,
That sounds pretty close to normal, if you ask me. Maybe 5-10 degrees high
when running. --The temperature always skyrockets when the engine is turned
off. -The block is a huge heat sink, and with no coolant circulation.....
...But it should fall back in range very fast once the car is started again.
Never did any harm to mine, in 25 years.
You could backflush your radiator, just to be sure, --and also several of us
have found that running straight distilled water, with a bottle of Redline
"water wetter" can drop the running temp by as much as 10-15 degrees.  --It
has worked well for me.
It does not sound like you have a serious problem, and the car may be fine as
it is,  but the 50-50 antifreeze mix was too high for summer. Some additional
things to check if wanting to keep the car original.... (IE, not including six
blade fans, oil coolers etc.)
Check Timing
Check mixture (A tad rich?)
Make sure all radiator shrouds are in place
Use straight distilled water with water wetter. (add antifreeze in the fall
!!)

I would try the last item, and enjoy the ride!

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA