Axle noise?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Axle noise?
From: ggilliam@usol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:00:45 EST
Listeners,
  I am experiencing a noise during acceleration on the newly-returned-
to-the-road BN4-47704, seemingly from the right side rear wheel in
first and second gears. No apparent loss of speed (accel) during the
noise, but it is there until I back off the throttle. It sounds like
something interferring or a spline skipping, but I can't see anything. I
have witness marks on the hub, wheel and knock-off, and there's no
motion there. No fender rub to be seen.
  With the rear seat out, I can see some windup of the axle \ leaf
spring during acceleration, but it's kinda hard to watch that and drive
at the same time. Jacking up both rear axles at the spring pads and
running through the gears provides no noise at all.
  It's a very unpleasant sound, and I hesitate to drive it much until I
can identify it, so I'm asking for ideas.

 Regards,

Gordy