Re: BJ8 FRONT HUB QUESTION

To: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>,
Subject: Re: BJ8 FRONT HUB QUESTION
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:17:47 -0700
Hi Jack,

re:

" I reckon this is the piece that the oil
seal lip rides on....right??  Is it supposed to fit as I described??"

Yes and yes.  When you tighten the castellated nut it'll clamp the inner
bearing's
inner race to the (seal) spacer and the stub axle (spacers or no).

re:

"Is it essential to use
 the shims and spacer between the bearings??"

Controversial.  Some claim you don't need them, others that the spacer/shim
arrangement adds strength to the stub axle.  I've always used them 'cause
that's the way they came new.  The spacers are expensive, if you have them I'd
use them; it not, well, it's a judgement call.   Start with no shims and clean
bearings (no grease), tighten the nut then add shims until the bearings just
roll
smoothly with no binding (disk brakes don't tolerate much endplay; I think the
manual says just a couple thousandths).  Usually takes about 0.030" of shims.

re:

"Is the outer grease cup different
 on the late BJ8's than the earlier BJ8's??  The Moss catalog seems to
 indicate such."

I don't know, but if Moss bothers to carry two different parts then they are
probably different and not interchangeble.  The rotors for early/late BJ8s are
different (the earlier ones are thinner--3/8" I think--and the later are about
1/2").
I believe the calipers are different also, you should determine which you have.

bs

Subject: BJ8 FRONT HUB QUESTION