BJ8 FRONT HUB QUESTION

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: BJ8 FRONT HUB QUESTION
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:30:46 -0500
Hi all, I'm doing some rebuild work on a BN7 Mk1.  It's not my car and I
don't know it's history except that it has a BJ8 (29K)engine and center
shift transmission.  It also seems to have BJ8 front swivel axles (LH
and RH sides are "handed") and brakes as they don't resemble the earlier
cars that I'm used to working on.  Anyway, the so-called Spacer ring at
the inner end of the stub axle is a snug fit but it will turn just by
gripping it with my fingers.  I reckon this is the piece that the oil
seal lip rides on....right??  Is it supposed to fit as I described??
What keeps it from turning on the stub axle??  Is it essential to use
the shims and spacer between the bearings?? (I've never used these on my
BT7 Mk2 which I've owned since new).  Is the outer grease cup different
on the late BJ8's than the earlier BJ8's??  The Moss catalog seems to
indicate such.  Please let me have some feedback on this as I'm a newbie
to late BJ8 issues.  As always, many thanks.
Jack