Re: Vapor Lock?

To: Bluechipracing <bluechipracing@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Vapor Lock?
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:13:03 +0800
Jim -

If the gas tank was less than 1/3 full and your cruise up the hill was
a long, somewhat steep and steady one... you simply ran out of gas.

The fuel line pickup in the tank is in the front of the gas tank, so
if you are heading up a long hill that is fairly steep ( say more than
3% grade), and you are evenly on the gas the whole time, the car will
run out of gas because all the gas will be up against the back end of
the tank.  I've had this happen to me two or three times... but
knowing it... once I heard the car stuttering I'd simply stomp on/pump
the brake on and off fairly firmly, forcing gas into the front of the
tank, and then voila... get enough gas to get to the top of the hill.

the other option of course is, when you are on a hill, you can always
use gravity to do a three point turn to face the car down hill, then
that will also put gas in the front of the tank and get it started
again.

The other potiential is if your fuel pump is weak, or corroded or has
bad check valves in it... it may have enough power to pump fuel on the
flats, but may not have enough ooomph to push fuel up hill if you are
on a steep hill.  I've had this happen to me before too.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8