RE: gear crunch BT7

To: "'Tim Newton'" <timnewton@menziesgroup.com.au>,
Subject: RE: gear crunch BT7
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:17:07 -0400
Tim,

Since the first motion shaft and the lay gear are turning when you are in
neutral and first gear is not synchronized, it will always grind a bit if
you try to engage it immediately after pushing in the clutch.  By touching
second gear lightly, you can stop the movement of the gears so that it will
not grind going into first gear.  Sometimes, however, the teeth on first
gear simply do not line up.  In that case you can either release the clutch
and start over or, if the guy behind you at the light is impatient, start
off in second.

As far as the other gears are concerned I find that a slight pause between
gears to allow the synchro rings to do their job is helpful.  If it gets too
bad, however, you may need to take the box apart and replace the synchro
rings.

HTH,
Peter Schauss
1963 BJ7