Re: Thermostats and Temperature

To: Len and/or Marge <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Thermostats and Temperature
From: Richard Hosmer <rahosmer@citlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:30:16 -0700
on 7/30/05 10:04 PM, Len and/or Marge at thehartnetts@earthlink.net wrote:

> It has always been my understanding that a thermostat slowed the flow of
> coolant through the radiator in order to bring the temperature down.  Coolant
> flowing unrestricted through the radiator does not have time to cool down.  By
> slowing the flow, the coolant spends more time in the radiator thus being
> cooler when returned to the engine.

Len, I'm sorry, but the above sounds absolutely HAYWIRE to me. If that were
true, a thermostat would have to start out wide open, and close ever tighter
with use, to provide more efficient cooling, as the water warmed up while in
the block!!

The thermostat HAS to work the other way, retaining water in the block while
the engine comes, as speedily as possible, to operating temperature, without
any "outside" cooling. When a given temperature is reached (which would
quickly be exceeded if nothing were done) the opening thermostat releases
ever-increasing amounts of water to be cooled - which will flow at a rate
governed by the pump. If the radiator does too good a job, the thermostat
will not achieve full open, and less water will flow out to be cooled

In hot conditions, the thermostat will soon open fully, and remain so until
the engine is turned off. In the winter, depending on 'stat rating, it may
or may not come full open, but the PRINCIPLE does not change - if other than
fully open or fully closed, it is, to one degree or another, retaining hot
water in the block, NOT the radiator.

I would think that the ideal setup would be a blanking sleeve, or simply
removal, during the summer, and an appropriate 'stat during the winter, IF
one was found to be needed. The cars were designed for year-round use in a
less than ideal climate. Now, many cars are simply put away during the
colder months.

At least that is how it looks to me!  :-)

Dick Hosmer