Refurbish my BJ8 starter motor, or get a modern replacement?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Refurbish my BJ8 starter motor, or get a modern replacement?
From: Alan F Cross <alanx@proaxis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 01:36:25 +0100
Can you guys help me make up my mind?

I've got a BJ8 that is pretty original (still positive earth!), now with
a dodgy starter motor. It was showing open circuit in the car, but on
the bench (3 hours later!) it shows anything from 0.1 ohms to 1.5 ohms
when I turn the shaft by hand. Brushes look OK, so I probably need a bit
of cleaning up on the commutator. Also the retaining spring on the
pinion is mangled, and possibly incomplete (so where is the rest of it,
I ask myself). Could loss of the retaining spring suggest that there is
more damage than I'm aware of (eg engaged while driving?)?

My first impulse is to stay original and get the motor checked out and
refurbished. But is this wasting money that would be more wisely spent
on a new pre-engaged unit. Anyone refurbished and regretted it? Anyone
put in a modern unit and regretted doing that for any reason?

I like authentic, but also like to get from A to B. I have fitted an
electronic fuel pump, but am happy because it looks just like the
original. But these modern starters fool no one!

I'm so on the fence on this, I need a push one way or the other! Help
please!
--
Alan F Cross (BJ8 "Ginny") AHC member TV1729J
Heathfield Studios - http://www.heathfield-studios.co.uk - web designers for the