Re: Refurbish my BJ8 starter motor, or get a modern

To: Alan F Cross <alanx@proaxis.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Refurbish my BJ8 starter motor, or get a modern
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 09:18:49 +0800
Alan -

If you prefer original, then just fix the one you have.

The Lucas starters are very good and reliable, and easily rebuilt at
any decent local automotive electrical repair shop.  I'm sure in the
UK you should have a capable shop in most medium to large towns.  In
the US... a full rebuild, including rewrapping the armature, can cost
anywhere from $80 to $200.  Not too expensive, and since I had my BJ8
starter rebuilt, it hasn't failed me in 70K miles / 15 years.  Sure it
turns a little slower than a gear reduction starter, but it works just
fine.

Fitting a gear reduction starter will require some rewiring (it has
its own solenoid) and fitting up can be a pain in the arse depending
on the manufacturer.... do you want to go through this trouble? you
have to answer this question to get the answer to your big question.

Personally I like the original starter ... because the push button
solenoid is so handy & useful.  I would switch to an alternator first
before switching to a gear reduction starter.

If you want stronger starting power out of your Lucas starter, I would
simply upgrade your battery to an orbital gel battery (i.e. like the
Optima)... these batteries are built like battleships and don't ever
gas off.... and always have a great deal of cold cranking power.

Cheers,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8