Mechanical advance

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mechanical advance
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 19:06:28 -0400
STILL fighting with the loss of power under acceleration problem I wrote in
about.

I have another set of points and a rotor on order, even though those that are
in are new and correctly set. All other ignition components are new, and have
been adjusted. --All six plugs are an even light brown color on the tips.

-It does not appear to be missing rhythmically, as though one or two cylinders
were not firing all the time. --There is no pattern to the breakdown, and as I
said, after 20 minutes running, all cylinders looked as though they had been
firing-at least most of the time.

One thing I did find was that the rear carb was out of sync. I sync'd them up,
and thought that I had it fixed. Then as the car warmed up further, it failed
again.   The problem seems worse when the car is fully hot.  Syncing the rear
carb has made the problem less severe, but it is still there.

New: Plug wires, cap, plugs, coil, engine ground strap and star washers. Carbs
gone over with a fine toothed comb. Fuel flow is good.

Since I am going to replace the points and rotor anyway, and have the internal
grounding wires for the distributor.... And it is the last remaining thing I
have not gone over with a magnifying glass...   I'm going to pull the
distributor, thoroughly disassemble, clean and lube the mechanical advance,
and reassemble.

1.) Is there a posting on the web somewhere that shows the sequence to take
the distributor internals down. --What cleaning solvent should I use?, -and is
there a reference for lubrication points when you reassemble it? --Also what
kind of lube?

Thank you everyone,  I'm going to beat this problem, if it kills me!

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA