Re: hyperventilating hyperlink

To: sbyers@ec.rr.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hyperventilating hyperlink
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 09:26:26 EDT
In a message dated 8/7/2005 8:39:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sbyers@ec.rr.com writes:
That's pretty much the way Michael Oritt, Peter & Ann Hunt, and I did it in
our Healeys in '02 on the way to Lake Tahoe.  Of course, we could have gone
much faster if we'd had one of those big old ugly wings on the back.

Steve Byers

  From AutoWeek magazine, week of July 25, 2005.
ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2674471.    Title is Climb Dance
(1989).  Run time is 5:14

  "This award winning short film documents Ari Vatanen's record-breaking run
at
the 1988 annual Pike's Peak Hill Climb Event in Colorado. The film was created
by Jean Louis Mourey and captures Vatanen climbing Pike's Peak in a four wheel
drive, four wheel steer Peugeot 405 T16. Watch the world famous rally legend
rip through hairpins and glide past sheer cliffs at 14,000 foot elevation from
cameras inside, in front, underneath and above the car. This is by far some of
the most spectacular and nerve bending race car footage ever recorded. The
film has since become one of the most watched and talked about car films ever,
right up there with the French cult classic 'Rendezvous'."

Steve--

I don't know that we "ripped" through the hairpins, but I do remember that we
got to the Pike's Peak Road entrance that morning when it opened to make sure
that there would be no descending traffic so that we could drive the apexes
on the way up.

I had not adjusted my carbs for altitude since leaving Maryland and by the
time I got to the last section was almost out of power, driving in 1st.  If
you'll recall Julian Bowen had to jettison his passenger about 500 feet from
the
summit in order to make it up.

What a thrilling ride!

Best--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans