Leaking steering box

To: "Healey Mail Group" <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaking steering box
From: "Healey Bruce" <healeybruce@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:27:55 -0700
While cleaning the engine bay before installing my engine, I noticed oil on
the frame rail directly below the steering box, and also on the garage
floor.  The car has had the motor out for about 18 months, so the steering
has sat mostly dormant.  The oil appears to be coming from the bottom side
where the steering shaft exits the box.  Question:  How difficult is it to
replace the oil seal(s) on that shaft?  Can it be done without breaking the
joints on the tie rod?  Can one get the steering arm off the shaft without
removing the entire assembly?

Bruce Steele
1960 BN7
Brea, CA