Re: Leaking steering box

To: Healey Bruce <healeybruce@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Leaking steering box
From: bspidell@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 01:23:07 +0000
I've done this successfully in situ.   Remove the Pittman arm (don't know
if you can do this without disconnecting the tie rods, but possibly), then
use a curved pick or bend the tip of a screwdriver to fish the old seal out.

You can carefully tap the new seal in around the shaft, but you'll need
two long rods with flattened tips (or really flat screwdrivers--remember,
you have to work around the shaft).  You have to tap the seal with one rod
while keeping it from rocking in the steering box with the other, working
around the seal.

There are two types of seals available--one is made by Chicago Rawhide and is
about 1/8" deep, the other (more correct) one is almost a quarter-inch thick.
The narrower one didn't work for me (it wouldn't bed well in the box), but
others have been able to stack two of them to get a seal.  I got the deeper one
from Hemphill's Healey Haven.

If there's a groove worn around the shaft where the seal rides you may have
better luck stacking the narrower seals.

bs