passing of Everett Smith

To: Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: passing of Everett Smith
From: Lou G <lgalper1@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 02:02:58 -0700
I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Everett Smith.

I originally contacted him thru a Hemmings ad about 10 yrs ago when my BN1 was
damaged severely.  I sent the 2 rear wings to him via UPS, and they came back
perfect.  There was no evidence of repair, welding, anything, they were
perfect.  He even had a picture of my banged up car on his site.

I visited his shop after the 2003 Rendezvous in Eureka, very far out in the
middle of nowhere on the Klamath River. He fabricated many sheet metal and
structural repair pieces, some wholesaled to Moss. He had studied coachbuilding
in England, but he was not an old guy.  At the time, he was making trim pieces
for a Delage and had his Alvis's in the back of the shop.  He recently had made
a few sets of doors and fenders for a 100 race car project, all aluminum. I
have a few pictures of his shop I'll try to put together.

I just found out of his severe illness last month from John Wilson in Klamath
Falls.  John had told me that Everett knew his health was failing, and had time
to dispose of his cars and tools.  I always considered Everett as a valuable
resource if my car was ever damaged again, and tried to direct others to him.
As you all know, many of our Healey resources are shrinking.  We've lost an
excellent craftsman.

Sincerely
Lou Galper
San Diego