heater fan sucks

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: heater fan sucks
From: "jrhill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:34:40 -0500
Earl Kagna wrote:

> Due respect Rich, the Healey heater blower motor is a
> permanent magnet motor - doesn't care about polarity.

Interesting. I have a basement full of electric trains with permanent magnet
motors. Not surprisingly, when you change the polarity to the rails, they
run in the opposite direction.

> I have converted at least a half dozen Healeys to NEG
> ground, including my present two, without interchanging
> the blower motor wires - they've all continued to move
> air in the right direction.

I don't doubt that for a moment . . . but the reason is not the permanent
magnet motors. Diodes in the wiring (or integral to the motor) will maintain
the polarity seen by the motor regardless of the polarity of the wiring, so
the motor will always spin in the same direction.

Jim Hill